[Mimedefang] Black Listed

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Apr 7 09:25:17 EDT 2004

> Nor to me. I prefer running my own mailserver so I can filter spam
> and viruses. Something Time Warner does not seem to have the capacity
for.

I wish I could run my own mail server.  I did, but I went away for
vacation, and when I came back, I didn't have much mail waiting for me.
They had started blocking port 25.

> I have noticed regular relay checks (wbout once every 2 weeks) by
> Time Warner of my mailserver. All of which fail of course. So they
> are trying to weed out misconfigured servers. haven't heard a peep
> out of them so far about having to shut mine down. I doubt I will,
> as it saves them resources.  Not only on their server but I'd be
> calling the techdesk quite regularly to complain about the spamlevel.
:-)

I wouldn't mind if I had to pay extra for the privledge of getting
business class service (allowing web and mail servers) as long as it
wasn't too unreasonable, but they do not allow it.  If I were a business,
they would charge me double the price, maybe give me a static IP, but
still subject me to the same restrictions on running a server.

The upshot is I signed up with a hosting company that gives me 500MB of
space, 1000 email addresses and 5GB/mo transfer for $4.95/mo.  Downside is
I can't run it on my server my way.