[Mimedefang] Resource Question

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Tue Apr 6 15:39:04 EDT 2004

I run a 2.8MHZ 500meg system that does SA/mcafee,fprot,filescan,clamdscan,
and handles 5K of traffic a day without ANY problems.
Even when it hit 25k traffic it didn't hiccup, on a virus outbreak day.

It's running MD 2.39.

Your hardware sounds super beefy for your load.

Make sure you optimize your sendmail configuration, you can get much
better performance by configuring aggressive sendmail timeouts.
http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2003-September/016740.html

Mark Penkower said:
> I am using Mimedefang 2.39.
>

> My Mail server is a Pentium 2.4 GHZ with 2 gig of Ram.  I have a 4 Gig
> Swap Drive.  I have a raided 70 Gig SCSI Drive.
>
> On average,the combined incoming and outgoing messages number between
> 3,000 and 5,000.  The total volume is never more than 500 meg.
>
> I don't do much with Mimedefang.  I bounce banned attachments, and add a
> disclaimer to all outgoing emails.  In the future, I will have
> Mimedefang BCC all outgoing emails assigned accounts.  I don't need
> Mimedefang to do any Virus Checking.
>

> I assume that the hardware that I am using is plenty and that I should
> never run out of resources with my current Mimedefang Configuration.
>
> Can somebody verify this.
>

> Thanks
>

> Mark Penkower

Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering
Montana State University-Bozeman,Montana