[Mimedefang] Resource Question

Cormack, Ken kcormack at acs.roadway.com
Tue Apr 6 15:05:15 EDT 2004

With what you are currently doing, your hardware is more than enough.  I run
a pair of dula-proc 800MHx Compaq DL380's with half the disk, 2GB of RAM,
1GB of swap, custom sendmail rulesets, MIMEDefang doing all kinds of
filtering, greylisting, SpamAssassin (which just had 7000+ additional
rawbody rules to it), commercial virus scanning, zip-file inspection, and
DNS.  My boxes handle an average of 50-80K connections a day, and process
about 2GB of mail each day.  During heaviest business hours, the primary box
has peaked at 47% CPU utilization.  Note that I also use a RAM disk to keep
I/O delays short.  My average email is 47K in size, with max size set at
50MB.  Greylisting also helps tremendously, by relieving the need for the
more CPU-intensive filtering.  Based on your mail flow and on what you do
with your boxes, you should be fine.

KEN CORMACK, RHCE
Sr. UNIX Systems Analyst,
    Open Systems Group
Sr. Software Analyst,
    TSG Midrange Systems Group
AFFILIATED COMPUTER SERVICES, INC.

"If that that is 'is' is that that is not 'not is', is that that is 'not is'
that that is not 'is'?  It is!" - Ken Cormack

"Sendmail administration is not black magic.  There are legitimate technical
reasons why it requires the sacrificing of a live chicken." - Unknown