[Mimedefang] Black Listed

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Apr 6 11:27:25 EDT 2004

Peter A. Cole wrote:

> As for a real solution to spam? I think in principal it's quite easy. No mail
> server should accept mail from any mail server that is not correctly
> configured. ie should have correct reverse MX records, reject mails with
> forged headers, etc. If this was done, spamming would become irrelevant.
>
> Of course, this requires many changes to many mail servers, but at the end of
> the day it would ensure a completely RFC compliant mail infrastructure,
> thereby making spam easy to get rid of without the need to blacklist anybody.

I used to block bad rDNS servers.. then I needed to get some emails from Texas
Instruments (yes, ti.com) and they had bad DNS... I told them about it (through
the customer tech support line which is really for semiconductors, but seemed to
be the best place to start...) and they just didn't care...

So I finally gave in and turned off rDNS checks... which were blocking like 2000
spams a month for me. :(

  -Ben