[Mimedefang] Black Listed

Paul freebsd at pksnet.com
Tue Apr 6 09:41:09 EDT 2004

>I've seen this happen many times before.  In the Tampa area, Time Warner /
>BrightHouse is very aggressive.  For example, if a Verizon customer sends
>spam to a TW customer and the customer complains, TW will attempt to contact
>Verizon to get the issue resolved.  If Verizon ignores the complain or
>doesn't take *decisive* action to TW's satisfaction, TW will blacklist some
>or all of Verizon's IP address blocks.  At that point, it affects many
>Verizon customers and the ensuing calls force Verizon to take action.

I concur. It grows to hilarious proportions sometimes. Apparently a TW TampaBay customer spammed an AOL account. Next thing we know, AOL does not accept email from mail-server.tampabay.rr.com anymore. The humor? I believe AOL uses that exact same machine under a different alias as their SMTP server for this area. The same with the DNS servers. Understandable as AOL and TW are both part of the same company. What is less hilarious is that AOL does not wish to receive mail from our server as we are on a TW netblock and they consider us a 'dialup'. So when that block occured we had no way of emailing people on AOL. A major irritation...

Paul