[Mimedefang] Black Listed

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 6 09:15:09 EDT 2004

>From: "Peter A. Cole" <peteracole at bigpond.com>
>
>On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:17:14 -0500 (EST)
>Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu at flashnet.it> wrote:
>

>As for a real solution to spam? I think in principal it's quite easy. No
>mail server should accept mail from any mail server that is not correctly
>configured. ie should have correct reverse MX records, reject mails with
>forged headers, etc. If this was done, spamming would become irrelevant.

However, just because a host is listed to RECEIVE email doesn't mean it'll
be used to SEND email.  Heck, take a look at any of the ISPs I've used, or
even my domain host.  They have different hosts for incoming and outgoing
email.

>Of course, this requires many changes to many mail servers, but at the end
>of the day it would ensure a completely RFC compliant mail infrastructure,
>thereby making spam easy to get rid of without the need to blacklist
>anybody.

I don't remember ever seeing an RFC that says that only hosts defined with
MX records may send email.  Maybe you could point it out :)

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?