[Mimedefang] Black Listed

Mark Defang defang at astroshapes.com
Mon Apr 5 22:02:14 EDT 2004

This may be off topic, but I don't know who else to turn to.

I have been a MIMEDefang user for a couple of years now.  I absolutely
love it!!  I myself do not use Internet black list subscriptions because
I have not seen the need to.  Using MIMEDefang, custom rules,
spamassassin and bayes filtering and uvscan, I have had no real problems
to speak of.  Using a black list subscription just adds one layer of
problems that I don't have much control over, example to follow.

To make a long story short, here is my problem.  We have a T1 through
Ameritech with an IP block of like 16 IP's.  We send email to a customer
of ours that uses another ISP.  The customer's IP subscribes to an
Internet blacklist.  Starting today, we, as a domain, can not send email
to this customer.  When I contacted the ISP, they stated that Ameritech
had been blacklisted and I needed to contact them to have the issue
resolved.  Ameritech needs to contact the black list provider and clear
it up.  AMERITECH!!!

I have a few problems with this...  First, my domain was not the one
that was blacklisted, according to the ISP.  If, what he says is true,
every Ameritech customer in the midwest, maybe further, will not be able
to send email to any ISP subscribing to this blacklist.  This doesn't
even sound possible to me.  Secondly, my domain was not the one
blacklisted.  Why would lax mail security on another domain or a
compromised home user account have any bearing on my ability to send email?

If this is off topic, I apologize.  I am going to pull what hair I have
left if I have to talk to Ameritech for 16 hours to finally get a hold
of the correct person to be hung up on...

Thanks!

Mark D.