[Mimedefang] limiting nested mime multiparts

Kelsey Cummings kgc at sonic.net
Sun Apr 4 21:52:45 EDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 08:52:14PM -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Kelsey Cummings wrote:
>
> > I've reviwed the MIME:Parser module but don't see a method for finding the
> > depth of recursion.  The existing MaxMIMEParts doesn't seem to catch this,
> > or it it's supposed to, it's not working for me, even with the patched
> > MIME:Parser module.
>
> The MaxMIMEParts looks only at total number of parts, not recursion depth.
> Clam shouldn't use huge amounts of memory for recursive parts (I can't
> see a reason why a 50-part message would take substantially different
> amounts of memory depending on recursion structure.)

We are talking more along the lines of 1000's of parts deep by the time
they start to wipe out clamd.  Doh!

> However, I'm now the maintainter of MIME-tools, so I'll consider this
> as a feature request. :-)

Cool.  We hacked up a fake virus filter to filter it out before clam sees
it, but hacked is the operative word.

--
Kelsey Cummings - kgc at sonic.net           sonic.net, inc.
System Administrator                      2260 Apollo Way