[Mimedefang] Solaris syslog error

Alex S Moore asmoore at edge.net
Fri Apr 2 19:32:53 EST 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:59:33 -0800
David Minor <minor at fusion.gat.com> wrote:

> Hi - I'm working on my second install of MIMEDefang. I've been running
> it for two weeks on a test box with great results but I'm having
> problems now that I'm trying to install it on our production machine.
>
> The problem I'm seeing has been addressed here before but the answers
> given don't seem to work for me. I'm installing version 2.42 on a box
> running Solaris 8. I also have SpamAssassin version 2.63 installed as
> well as Sendmail Switch (the commercial version of Sendmail).
>
> Everything installs with no errors but when I try to run I get a syslog
> error:
>
> mimedefang-multiplexor: [ID 980602 mail.info] Slave 0 stderr: unix
> dgram connect: Socket operation on non-socket at
> /usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl line 435
>
> mimedefang-multiplexor: [ID 980602 mail.info] Slave 0 stderr: no
> connection to syslog available at /usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl line 435

This may not help with MIMEDefang, but here is a post that I made in the SpamAssassin mailing list:
--
> unix dgram connect: Socket operation on non-socket at /usr/local/bin/spamd line 282

Best I can recollect, the code tries for a unix socket to syslog, then
if that fails, a inet socket.  The first attempt causes this message.
The second attempt works.

Add --syslog-socket=inet to the spamd startup line.
--
Alex