[Mimedefang] sendmail access.db question

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Fri Apr 2 16:54:31 EST 2004

"Martin J. Dellwo" wrote:

> I have implemented an access.db with FEATURE(`access') in sendmail, with
> lots of 'To:<someword>@domain.com  REJECT' lines to block unknown users
> (or currently unknown but former users).  Does this get checked before
> or after MIMEDefang?  How would I distinguish this in the mail syslogs
> (I have pretty high logging level turned on).  If the user is unknown on
> the system and would therefore be rejected anyway, am I gaining anything
> by using the access.db?

To blacklist a recipient, you must have the blacklist recipients feature
enabled. If you have blacklist recipients enabled, it would get checked
before MIMEDefang.

If you really want to blacklist recipients, use the virtusertable -- it
is MUCH simpler. In fact, we have found the easiest way to bounce email
for any user that does not exist any longer is to list all valid users in
the virtusertable, then create an entry such as:
@ourdom.com	ERROR:5.1.1:"550 No such user in domain ourdom.com"

Or, you could explicitly reject a former user by:
joe at ourdom.com	ERROR:5.1.1:"550 Joe don't live here no more"

Hope this helps!

Jon Kibler
--