[Mimedefang] MD and all of its users appear to be in violation of a US Patent

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Apr 2 11:32:32 EST 2004

Hi, All.

At the office, we've (naturally) been talking about this patent.

It's pretty clear to me that their claims are badly-written, overly-broad,
and covered by substantial prior art.  I'm sure a compentent legal and
technical team could get the patent invalidated.

I also can't imagine who Postini would go after.  It makes no sense for them
to go after little guys like us, because we have no money.  It makes no sense
for them to go after big guys like Brightmail, because Postini would get
clobbered in court.  And there simply aren't that many medium-sized players
to go after.

Our VP Sales said he thinks Postini is looking to have an IPO, and it looks
good to investors if a software company owns a patent.  That seems the
most likely motivation to me.