[Mimedefang] MD and all of its users appear to be in violation of a US Patent

dr john halewood john at unidec.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 10:17:34 EST 2004

On Friday 02 Apr 2004 3:36 pm, Jon R. Kibler wrote:
>A US patent granted to Postini... effectively says that any system
>which intercepts mail, filtering viruses and spam messages from the
>inbox and then sends what's left to the intended recipient is using
>Postini's intellectual property (IP)...

I think its not that clear cut: according to the article:
"Postini's patent describes using a modified DNS address to redirect email to
an email pre-processing service". Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
think mimedefang does anything involving modifying DNS: it just sits on a
legitimate MX record and filters stuff going through. In patent terms I think
this makes it a completely different product.

cheers
john