[Mimedefang] Correct order

Todd Aiken taiken at ubishops.ca
Thu Apr 1 13:15:37 EST 2004

I'm doing the following using MIMEDefang:

- Use filter_relay to bypass outgoing mail
- Greylisting
- Virus scanning (with uvscan)
- Rejecting on bad filename extensions
- Checking for SPAM with SpamAssassin

I had to place greylist checking in filter_end because it seemed to be
running before filter_relay and was greylisting all of my external mail.
But I thought to save some processing power, I would move virus scanning
to filter_end as well so that only if a mail passed the greylist would it
be scanned for viruses.  However, by doing that, I now find that my
quarantine directory is filling up fast, because stuff is being moved
there being detected as having a bad filename before it is being scanned
(and rejected) for viruses.  Can somebody suggest a way that I can move
stuff around so that all of the above list is processed in the listed
order?  If it is somehow possible to do the filter_relay checking in
filter_begin before everything starts, I could then place greylist
checking back in filter_begin and that would probably solve my problem.

My mimedefang-filter can for now be found at:
http://staarage.ubishops.ca/mimedefang-filter

Thanks.

CU L8R...

Todd A. Aiken
Systems Analyst - Administrator
Cole Computer Centre
BISHOP'S UNIVERSITY
Lennoxville, Quebec, CANADA

"GUIs on servers... That's like putting an air conditioner on a
motorcycle..."