[Mimedefang] md_copy_orig_msg question

Doug Brott brott at redh.com
Thu Apr 1 10:35:46 EST 2004

Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>>From the readings, I understand that clamav definitely will catch more
>viruses if you did this.  Can anyone comment on the validity of using this
>with other scanners?  Specifically, my interest is with McAfee's uvscan.
>
>Regards,
>KAM
>

>> <>PLEASE NOTE: If you want your original input message to be scanned
>> by a virus scanner, you *must* call one of md_copy_orig_msg_to_work_dir
>> or md_copy_orig_msg_to_work_dir_as_mbox_file in your filter before
>> invoking
>
>>a virus-scanning function.

I have installed release 2.42 now.  I was using a modified
mimedefang-filter from a few revs back (probably 2.34 or so) and noticed
the new changes that have now morphed into 2.42.  I decided to take the
stock 2.42 mimedefang-filter (windows minimum) and rework my specific
changes.

I can say the "yes" it seems to work with other virus scanners.  I am
using Frisk Software's F-Prot Antivirus for Linux Mail Servers.  I've
only been running with the new filter for 24 hours, but things are
definitely working.  The only difference that I have noticed is that my
old filter dropped SPAM messages into a MSG.0 log and VIRUS messages
into a MSG.1 log.  All of my messages are now in MSG.0 log.  I suspect
that this is more due to differences in the way that I modified the new
filter than anything else.  Either way, I'm saving the information that
I need.

Regards

--
Doug Brott