[Mimedefang] Order of processing for sendmail/MD

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Tue Sep 30 13:16:01 EDT 2003

Anne Bennett wrote:
> http://www.encs.concordia.ca/~fig/public/email/relay/milter+ruleset-checks.html
> has at least part of what you want, I think.

Ah, excellent!

"In all cases, if a check returns an indication that the operation,
message, or connection should be rejected, or should be unconditionally
accepted, then no
     further checks are performed for that operation, message, or
connection respectively. "

This explains a lot of things.

> Kris Deugau wrote:
> > -> Is there any way to make sure that MD as a milter *DOES* full
> > processing on mail destined for "local" hosted domains, while still
> > bypassing everything other than the AV scans on
> > outbound-to-other-servers dialup/DSL mail?
>
> Well, you have full control of the mimedefang-milter, and you can scan
> the recipients lists (and even check the mailer triples for them as
> determined by sendmail) to decide what kind of processing to do for
> the message...

Hmm.  This will require some thinking to keep it efficient.  :/

I'm already doing stream_by_domain() on the current production system to
avoid spamscans on backup-MX domains;  I think I can see how that would
work for other domains.

Coincidentally, it'll allow finer-grained controls for customers.  <g>
At least, once I write the supporting web-based control panel code.

-kgd
apartment it is.