[Mimedefang] Viruses: Bounce or Discard?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Sep 29 16:06:01 EDT 2003

--On Monday, September 29, 2003 2:07 PM -0500 Les Mikesell
<les at futuresource.com> wrote:

> As a software vendor yourself, do you really think that end users
> should be responsible for things the software might do without
> their knowledge?  All they did was pay for it...

Just as they paid for ISP service. David's proposing a fee, not a penalty, for
a specific service. ISP's already have no-server clauses in their TOS, and
charge you for a different "commercial" service if you need that.

I'd suggest that the fee/service be not for "viruses" but for sending any MIME
types or file extensions deemed executable. Treat exceptions just like
firewall exceptions, requiring special action to enable it. For businesses,
that means the IT department gets to bill the end user for setting this up.

(I'd also suggest billing a premium for HTML because it takes more resources
to scan for spam.)