[Mimedefang] filtering bad filename vs. file scanning

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at eget.fi
Fri Sep 26 06:26:01 EDT 2003

cc scribbled on Friday, September 26, 2003 6:12 AM:

> I have ClamD installed, but I can't tell whether or not
> MIMEDefang is even using it.  During installation,
> the installation script definitely found Virus::ClamAV,
> but there's no indication that it's using it.

> How do I get mimedefang run in test mode to check whether it is
> using the virus scanner properly? (Short of sending myself a
> virus.)

Go to http://www.eicar.org and download the EICAR test file (in zipped
format, I'd suggest) and send it through the mailserver. If you have
antivirus filtering active the mail will get dumped and the attachment
quarantined (unless you've changed the filter-example file more than I
suspect. :)

The EICAR test is just a plain text string that virus scanners everywhere
will recognize, for testing purposes. There is a similar text string that
will trigger SpamAssassin. I've used them both to test my setup.

--

 European Game & Entertainment Technology Ltd Ab
 Kimmo Jaskari, System Administrator
 kimmo.jaskari at eget.fi  -  http://www.eget.fi