[Mimedefang] Cost of NAI

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Wed Sep 24 17:41:01 EDT 2003

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> -ray wrote:
> > Symantec was going to get me a copy of their Solaris
> > anti-virus pretty cheaply ($100 or so...).  But when they
> > learned it was for a server that 15,000 students accessed,
> > then the price jumped to over $10,000... for the same damn product.

> You are totally correct in this. Running such a server product
> implies that you have to pay per user,

Not necessarily.  When I set up the filter server here, my boss found
RAV and paid for a single-server license.  Their license was an odd
combination of per-server and per-domain at the time, but no per-user
charges.  (Multiprocessor servers cost more;  multiple domains cost
more;  multiple *servers* cost more.  More users just means you need a
bigger server.  <g>)

This is a small installation (<1K filtered accounts), but I don't recall
seeing anything in the information we got from RAV that indicated any
limitations in that respect.

-kgd
apartment it is.