[Mimedefang] sobig virus slipping by mcafee.

Jason Englander jason at englanders.cc
Tue Sep 2 18:39:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Lucas Albers wrote:

> If you want to look at the message you can download it from:
> http://www.cs.montana.edu/support/mimedefang/PART.1.BODY.gz

I've only spent about 30 seconds with it, but if it helps to know any -
I extracted the movie0045.pif attachment out of it with uudeview.  Here's
what I got with various scanners after scanning it:

uvscan:

        Found the W32/Sobig.f at MM virus !!!

clamscan:

movie0045.pif: Worm.Sobig.F FOUND

antivir:

 ALERT: [Worm/Sobig.F virus] movie0045.pif <<< Contains signature of the worm Worm/Sobig.F

File::Scan:

movie0045.pif Infection: W32/Sobig.f at MM

Anyway, causes to slip by can include variants detected by one, but not
another, badly formed MIME that MIME::tools can't decode, you name it...

"mimedefang.pl -structure" may shed some light on it.

If anything truly does make it past clamav, send it to
virus at clamav.elektrapro.com and we'll add a signature to clamav's virus
db for it.

  Jason

--
Jason Englander <jason at englanders.cc>
394F 7E02 C105 7268 777A  3F5A 0AC0 C618 0675 80CA