[Mimedefang] Re: calling action_bounce() for viruses

Geoff Thornton gthornton at networksgroup.com
Tue Sep 30 22:50:01 EDT 2003

Hey Michael,

I know you've helped me before, and I sent you the 'mtrack' script...

>I've seen various solutions proposed to this problem.  If you're using LDAP
>you could configure the internet-facing MX to validate addresses against it
>(not sure on the details of how this is done).  I've heard some suggest
>that you have sendmail do all of it's delivery in real time, before
>returning a success or failure to the connecting relay.  I never was able
>to get that >to work. :(

I have complete and tested LDAP lookup code for MIMEDefang which is
multithreaded and both initializes and cleans-up nicely.  It has been tested
on both Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000, but the framework should work with
any LDAP compliant user store.  It should work in any part of the filter,
but I use it in filter_recipient().

I'm not sure my company's plan for this code, so I've not generally released
it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem to limit the distribution,
at least initially.  I think the independent feedback would be worth
comparing, in any case.

I can send you my complete 'mimedefang-filter' code, or just the relevant
parts.  I do have some other minor modifications that may or may not be
interesting...

--Geoff Thornton
NetWorks Group