[Mimedefang] Viruses: Bounce or Discard?

David Meissner DavidM at instantservice.com
Tue Sep 30 16:03:00 EDT 2003

> My parents run Linux.  That was mostly my choice, I admit.
> They know very little about computers, and I refused to
> install Windows for them.  So they learned Linux.  I
> installed a fairly locked-down XFCE desktop, taught them to
> use Mozilla, and installed DOSEMU and WordPerfect 5.1.  They're happy.

In this case, you are the highly-skilled systems administrator for your
parents, so naturally they will be happy with the results. If your version
of Linux needs any patches, you will take care of it for them. I don't think
there are many normal users who would be able to work with a setup like that
- they just couldn't afford the necessary support costs. I'm not sure this
is a good example of the benefits of Linux over Windows.

-David M.