[Mimedefang] OS wars... [was Viruses: Bounce or Discard?]

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 30 15:58:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 12:46, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > Ways to get this sold to your audience.
>
> I think all of this talk about what an ISP should do misses the bulk
> of the problem.  My outbound email is not processed by an ISP at
> anything beyond a circuit/packet transport level, and most of
> the inbound mail I see comes directly from other corporate servers
> with no ISP intervention.

You are probably correct that this is a current pipe-dream. ISPs that I
know have been loathe to do scanning and such because they didnt want to
be the first accussed of violating people's privacy... and the fact that
the more laissez f'aire they were about what travelled across their
networks.. the less likely they could be sued or regulated by
governments.

I think that sadly those frontier days are getting fast behind us and
that ISP's and carriers will be held liable under national security laws
or some such deal. [IE if someone's infected machine causes the power
grid to collapse because of a worm.. they will find things to be a lot
worse.]

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645