[Mimedefang] Strange behavior

Shawn Button sbutton at dtjboulder.com
Tue Sep 30 14:04:01 EDT 2003

Hello and good day. This is a weird one.

Latest versions of sendmail, sa and mimedefang.

Due to high amounts of spam we silently discard stuff over a certain threshold
instead of quarantining it.

.doc files are allowed in MD.

Our internal domain is whitelisted in SA just in case so that way nothing
internal is ever dumped as spam.

We have 1 Word document that, when sent internally from any user, is flagged as
spam and dumped. This is despite the whitelist, despite allowing .doc and occurs
whether the message itself is html or plain text. It appears from testing that
the attachment is causing the issue. We have had other users send the attachment
and it discards it as well:

Sep 30 10:51:49 oslo sendmail[9480]: h8UGpnnH009480:
from=<lsegel at dtjboulder.com>, size=101384, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<000701c38773$2441b2a0$1601a8c0 at dtjboulder.com>, proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=[192.168.1.22]
Sep 30 10:51:50 oslo sendmail[9480]: h8UGpnnH009480: Milter: data, discard
Sep 30 10:51:50 oslo sendmail[9480]: h8UGpnnH009480: discarded

Here is the whitelist statement in SA: whitelist_from          *@dtjboulder.com

What could be making SA dump e-mails with this word document attached? Why is
the whitelist apparently not being honored?

The document is not private info or anything so if anyone is interested in
looking at it out of curiosity, just e-mail me and I can provide it...

This is very perplexing...

Thank you kindly,

Shawn