[Mimedefang] OS wars... [was Viruses: Bounce or Discard?]

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 30 12:45:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 06:14, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Joe Stevens wrote:
>
> > Yea, we can crossrefrence the IP and time a message was send with the
> > authentication logs, and find out who sent it -- thats easy...  but BILL
> > them?  Where do we get the "right" from?
>
> >From the Terms of Service your customers agreed to when they signed up.

Ways to get this sold to your audience.

1) You are offering them security by better blocking customers who are
abusive of the general bandwidth.
2) Put it in as a general insurance cost on their bill. Keep a
documented listing and as the costs of cleaning up this email escalates,
increase the insurance cost.
3) If customers want unrestricted access put them on another VLAN and
let them pay for it.

> > What do we do with the money we collect?
>
> Well, that's a problem you should like to have. :-)

Pay for overtime to the engineers who spent all night cleaning up their
servers.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645