[Mimedefang] Re: calling action_bounce() for viruses

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 30 12:36:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 08:02, Jim McCullars wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, David F. Skoll wrote:
>
> > It's a tough call.  Philosophically and emotionally, I agree with you.
> > However, I have been annoyed more by bounce messages from viruses than
> > from actual viruses themselves,
>
>    I'm convinced that most of those spurious bounce messages are the
> result of setups where the MTA accepts the message, then something scans
> it, then they decide to return it.  That's why I like the milter approach.
> Refuse it while you are connected to whomoever or whatever is sending.

It can also be run into different firewall policies. Some firewall
philosophies say to have bare minimal proxies that can be easily audited
that accept data and then hand it off to heavier ones in the rear that
do scanning etc. I am not sure I agree completely with that philosophy
but it is 'dictated' in some areas and you have to then deal with it.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645