[Mimedefang] exe gets past Mimedefang

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Sep 30 12:04:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Joseph Brennan wrote:

> Imagine a university so decentralized that it's impossible to
> require people to use or not use any particular MUA.

I hear you.  But imagine a poor software author trying to keep up
with 1001 ways to misinterpret MIME. :-(

Actually, MIMEDefang has a routine called action_rebuild() that forces
it to rebuild the MIME message, canonicalizing it, which should eliminate
the problem of bad MIME.  However, action_rebuild() can introduce
problems of its own, and will slow down mail processing quite a bit.

> > (Didn't the file-content "MZ" trick work for you?)

> Whatever that one is slipped past me, David!

I thought you posted a routine that looked for MS executables by examining
the first few bytes of each attachment, regardless of filename.  Maybe
someone else posted it.