[Mimedefang] OS wars... [was Viruses: Bounce or Discard?]

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Tue Sep 30 10:40:01 EDT 2003

Add the following to your sendmail.mc assuming you have some sort of
anti-relay features:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=2025, Name=MTA')dnl

> One of these days, I'll stop being lazy and have sendmail listen on
> more than just port 25. There. Problem fixed, a$$holeMSN circumvented.
> While I agree it'll stop these new virii with the built-in SMTP MUA's....

> It will really make me look hard (like I have lots of choices) for another
> ISP.

Don't bother.  More and more ISPs are doing this.  Here's the rant I wrote
some years back:

What if my ISP blocks Port 25 to prevent SPAMmers?
Sometimes, even though everything is setup perfectly, you'll get an error
trying to send mail even though you're able to receive mail. Beyond
double-checking your settings to make sure they are 100% correct, the
solution is something that isn't readily apparent.

In short, some ISPs, such as Mindspring/Earthlink, try and make things
difficult for SPAMmers by blocking the SMTP (sendmail transport protocol)
port 25. Unfortunately, this usually just ends up making things more
difficult for legitimate users.

To alleviate this problem and since we run advanced Anti-Relay software, we
have setup an alternate SMTP port at 2025.

To utilize this alternate port, in Outlook Express, go to Tools->Accounts
and click on the Mail tab.

Highlight your Peregrine Hardware account and click on properties.

Go to the Advanced tab and change the outgoing port to 2025.

The problem should now be fixed!

Regards,
KAM