[Mimedefang] Mimedefang 2.36 and how to drop a blocked attachment message - action_bounce?

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Mon Sep 29 18:00:02 EDT 2003

At 01:35 PM 9/29/2003, Russ GilmanHunt wrote:
>Basically, a script runs down the length of the email link and converts
>it to the format &#(number);&#(number); etc, where the "number" is the
>ascii value for
>that character. Apparently, you could replace just the ampersand with this
>pattern too.

No, the ampersands have to stay intact.  Double-converting will end up just
displaying the codes instead of the letters.

Unfortunately, this will eventually lose its usefulness as scrapers (both
for spam and viruses) become more intelligent - and even now it cannot
guard against point-and-click one-at-a-time spammers.  Last week I received
a Nigerian scam variant sent to two addresses that are only posted in two
places, and only with this type of obfuscation.  (To add insult to injury,
they were our abuse contact and our false positive reporting address!)

Kelson Vibber