[Mimedefang] Mimedefang 2.36 and how to drop a blocked attachment message - action_bounce?

Russ GilmanHunt rgilmanhunt at hotp.com
Mon Sep 29 16:23:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 11:10, Schuyler Bishop wrote:
(snip)
>   The problem I've
> had is I have mailman lists where the e-mail address for the list has to
> be posted on the website so every e-mail bomb ever grabs it and I get
> hundreds of blaster, sobig, etc infected messages per day sometimes.  I'm
> sure you all have much exaggerated versions of this. ;)
(snip)

I've somewhat helped this problem by masking the email addresses using html entities
for the bits. Basically, a script runs down the length of the email link and converts
it to the format &#(number);&#(number); etc, where the "number" is the ascii value for
that character. Apparently, you could replace just the ampersand with this pattern too.
It cut down on a lot of that farming you're describing.  Browsers render the email
address normally.

I have one example of the function in vbasic/asp and one in php if you'd like to see a
closer look (they're basically the same thing). If you're coding HTML pages, you can
just convert it before you type it (rather than using a function).

Here's where I acquired the concept:http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

russ