[Mimedefang] Viruses: Bounce or Discard?

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Mon Sep 29 16:16:00 EDT 2003

The general history of litigation goes something like this:

Company makes product and sells it without warranty. Product has major
flaws but no one (important) really cares as it makes things better.

Product takes a larger market share, and more people start caring about
the problem.

Middlemen try to charge for the time/space/etc that the problem is
taking on their companies lives towards their customers and get pushback
from the customers. [Well I think sometimes it suceeds.]

Either the customers or the middle agencies ask for insurance against
the problem occuring as it is costing them time. Insurance companies
make estimates etc etc and then issue policies at big prices.

Customers start yelling at original manufacturer that their insurance is
going up because of faulty product. OM says 'too bad.. not our problem.'
and then gets sued by Middlemen and Customers to cover the rising
insurance rates. OM usually finds its own insurance rates going up or
that it can no longer get bonds/insurance because of poor ratings.

OM fixes problems after government legislation, court cases, no
insurance, and bad bond ratings.

I think in the manufacturing world this is a 20 year cycle from when a
product becomes ubiquitous to when it is fixed. Lets hope computers take
less time.

In the end, insurance companies have the final say in getting faulty
products off the markets. When companies can't afford their various
insurances because they run bad software.. then we will see changes.