[Mimedefang] OS wars... [was Viruses: Bounce or Discard?]

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at eget.fi
Mon Sep 29 15:45:01 EDT 2003

Rob MacGregor scribbled on Monday, September 29, 2003 10:22 PM:

>> From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>
>>
>> "classes" of e-mail.  It also pushes the true cost of viruses onto
>> those responsible (people who run M$ software in spite of warnings
>> from the likes of Dan Geer and Bruce Schneier.)

> I use Microsoft for both my desktop and my email package.  I
> do so because
> this combination supports the functionality I want/need.  It means I
> can keep the address books in my computer, mobile phone and PDA
> all consistent.
> It means that my diary, in all 3, also agrees.  It means that
> if I make a
> "to-do" note on one it appears in the others.  Basically, it makes my
> life a *LOT* easier (both personal and professional).

I'm in the same boat as well. As it is, one of the bigger reasons to "have
to" use Microsoft products - namely Outlook - is to get full integration
between one or several handheld devices. As you say, Outlook is what the
handhelds support and little else.

Outlook isn't wildly insecure; it's not like it is a wide open road that any
Tom, Dick or Harry can exploit with ease. Granted, it is not my favourite
piece of software, but with virus scanners, MIMEDefang and regular visits to
Windows Update you can get it to the point where it is highly unlikely any
viruses will bite you. However, for clueless people who won't patch and
won't run scanners, things can unfortunately get ugly, chiefly because
Outlook is such a huge target because there is such a large installed
userbase.

We've been running Outlook and even Outlook Express at the place where I
work for years now and have had exactly one virus incident to date. That was
caused by one of the administrators :) who had disabled his antivirus
software (we took him outside and shot him like a dog)... other than that,
we have never yet had a virus bite one of our users, and that was before
MIMEDefang.

Viruses have made it to the machines from time to time, but since the
machines use centrally administered antivirus software, none of them have
managed to infect. With MIMEDefang in place in addition to that, I for one
intend to sleep quite comfortably at night, even if we use Outlook.

--

 European Game & Entertainment Technology Ltd Ab
 Kimmo Jaskari, System Administrator
 kimmo.jaskari at eget.fi  -  http://www.eget.fi

 Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra, which suddenly flips
 over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.
                -- Matt Groening, "Love is Hell"