[Mimedefang] Can't figure out fetchmail and mimedefang

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 01:58:08 EDT 2003

>From: "Keli'i Martin" <werureo at bellsouth.net>
>
>    I apologize in advance for the length of this post.  I am having a very
>difficult time figuring something out.  I am having a problem with emails
>that do not get deleted from my ISP's mail server after MIMEDefang finds a
>virus attached to the email.  Since these emails are not getting deleted
>from the server, every time fetchmail polls that account, it downloads the
>virus-infected email, mimedefange rejects this, and I guess fetchmail ends
>up leaving the message on the server until the next time it polls that
>server.
>
>    First, here is a snip from my .fetchmailrc file:
<---SNIP--->
>    I have Googled this for days, and so far, I've found two proposed
>solutions, both from this mailing list.  One suggested changing the
>mimedefang filter to use action_discard() instead of action_bounce().  I
>didn't know where in the filter to change this.  So, I posted a message to
>this mailing list a few days ago.  Someone responded by saying that I
>should use the antispam feature in fetchmail.  Again, I wasn't sure where
>to put this.  I tried adding "antispam 554" right before the list of mail
>servers in my .fetchmailrc, but that just gave me a parse error.

You were on the right lines, but obviously missed the fact that the antispam
keyword is a USER option in the fetchmail config file.  You use it something
like:

poll pop.isp.net user fred with password thing is fred here antispam 554

If you try the fetchmail mailing list archive (or the man page) you'll get
more details.

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?