[Mimedefang] Mimedefang 2.36 and how to drop a blocked attachment message - action_bounce?

John Scully jscully at isupportisp.com
Sun Sep 28 18:32:00 EDT 2003

Although it violates the "basic tenets" of mail processing to silently
discard a message...that is really the best thing to do.  Action_bounce
is going to bounce it back to the "sender" which in the case of a virus
is only the sender maybe 10% of the time.  The others will either go
nowhere or pile up in some poor guy's mailbox.

We just use action_discard to silently drop the message.  We used to
also send a message to the recipient telling him that a virus laden
message had been blocked, but sobig put an end to that.  Who wants 400
"you were just protected from a virus" messages?

You will find this list divided between those who say mail is never to
be discarded, and those who decided that the spammers no longer make
that philosophy practical.

John Scully