[Mimedefang] large systems

John Scully jscully at isupportisp.com
Sat Sep 27 20:45:02 EDT 2003

We have only moved a portion of our incoming traffic to the filtering
cluster as of yet, but I expect to normally run with 3 or 4 servers in
the active cluster, and spike to 10-15 during attacks.  We are
installing IBM blade servers with L4 load balancing and the ability to
dynamically move blades in and out of clusters as needed.  Since we have
7 different clusters involved in the mail system this will add a great
deal of efficiency.  One pool of "extra" hardware available to any
cluster that comes under heavy load instead of sizing each cluster for
peak.

We do run spamassasin, DCC and several in-house "spam signature" based
systems to allow us to block a little over 99% of spam and porn with few
false positives and fairly low hardware needs.

The signature test and DCC are the fastest/lowest resource utilization
tests, so they run first (but after the virus scan). Only if the mail
get's by them does spamassassin run.  This seems to make a big
difference, because we get virtually zero false positives from those
first tests.

I think the input I can give you is that mimedefang is a good way to go
if you have good perl and DB people and engineer the system well.  As
long as you do not let the milter hang waiting for a response from a
sluggish spam check, like an overloaded RBL it really takes very little
time.  Average time for all processing of a message that hits every test
is 300 MS.

But before I worked to control the ability of an RBL or other internet
resource to slow it down I sometimes saw 10 second times - and would
have 700-800 sendmail threads running per server after a minute or so...

John Scully
jscully at isupportisp.com