[Mimedefang] large systems

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 27 17:48:00 EDT 2003

> You described our setup perfectly.  We only started moving traffic to
> the filtering cluster a few days ago, but have already peaked to 400
> messages per minute addressed to about 20,000 recipients during a spam
> attack.

The minute before I typed this reply we did 2500 emails a minute.
Thats after Sobig & co gets filtered :)

> I would strongly recommend using mysql, and designing the DB to have
> many tables, broken down by the first two letters of the mailbox (i.e.
> mailboxaa, mailboxab, mailboxac etc).  At anything up to several million
> mailboxes this keeps the index to only one or two levels of redirection
> and allows mysql to cache the more active mailboxes.  It makes the most
> difference when under a sorted dictionary attack, because thousands of
> hits in a row will go to the same small index.
>
> You can contact me offline if you want more detail.

It may be interesting to others too. Currently I have 7 boxes doing our
incoming email. I figure if I push all of those through milter with
optional virus/spam scanning i probably have to at least double that.
Maybe even more. It's not a big deal but im trying to get a feeling for
the amount of boxes (freebsd) id need..

Do you do spamassassin for your ISP customers? If so, dont they ask you
about bayesian filtering?

Cor