[Mimedefang] large systems

John Scully jscully at isupportisp.com
Sat Sep 27 11:08:01 EDT 2003

You described our setup perfectly.  We only started moving traffic to
the filtering cluster a few days ago, but have already peaked to 400
messages per minute addressed to about 20,000 recipients during a spam
attack.

We use sendmail as an MTA only with a perl/mysql mail platform for
webmail and pop3.  We do several layers of virus scanning and MANY
levels of spam/porn filtering with full controls at the client and
subscriber level (we run 250 ISPs, so we need control points at the
domain as well as sub level).

I would strongly recommend using mysql, and designing the DB to have
many tables, broken down by the first two letters of the mailbox (i.e.
mailboxaa, mailboxab, mailboxac etc).  At anything up to several million
mailboxes this keeps the index to only one or two levels of redirection
and allows mysql to cache the more active mailboxes.  It makes the most
difference when under a sorted dictionary attack, because thousands of
hits in a row will go to the same small index.

You can contact me offline if you want more detail.

John Scully