[Mimedefang] large systems

Cor cor at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 27 09:46:01 EDT 2003

Hi all, im evaluting the use of mimedefang in our organisation (an ISP with
about 150.000 customers, about 100.000 of which are DSL). We handle a
few million emails a day.

We currently do virus scanning with amavis/sophos and we have a homemade
RBL system. Everything must be user configurable (user choose to use
virus and spam filtering).

Im thinking of switching to mimedefang to integrate virus/spam filtering
(amavis cant do this as id like because the milter daemon doesnt have
the full protocol implemented). Id like to set up sophos/sophie,
RBL, spamassassin, all conditional on whether the customer chose to use any
of them. We could probably do this using either an SQL database or
just a simple DB file generate from our customer database regularly.

As far as I can tell this should be doable. We have plenty of perl wizards
internally so that shouldnt be a problem. Setting up a dozen or so
Dual 3ghz, 4GB memory, MFS spool, raid-1 HD boxes should also not be a problem.

Any comments on the feasability of this?

Thanks,

Cor