[Mimedefang] OT: Sendmail rewrite from address

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Fri Sep 26 16:57:01 EDT 2003

I am having a problem configuring sendmail to rewrite domains.
I have spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to do this by looking at my
sendmail book and on google. Perhaps someone could help me how to figure
this out...

I have 80 linux machines that are configured to smarthost their mail
through a central relay.  I want to rewrite outgoing mail sent from those
machines to refer back to the central relay, example:

cslab1,cslab2,cslab3
all mail sent from these machines, which are already smart host relayed
through cs.montana.edu should have their from address rewritten from
user at cslab1 to user at cs...
I want to rewrite the domain, and it is not specific per user.

Explcit example:
mail from: user at cslab1.csnet.montana.edu which smarthost relayed through
cs.montana.edu should be rewritten to appear to be
From: user at cs.montana.edu.

I have looked at genericstable,genericsdomain, virtusertable,
masquerade_as, all the standard items in various sendmail documentation,
and nothing appears to work.

I can't update the configuration files on all of the client machines, so I
need a way to modify the address on the smarthost relay.

Would it be better to do this via mimedefang?

Thanks for any and all information.

--Luke