[Mimedefang] Re: calling action_bounce() for viruses

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Sep 26 09:37:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Sevo Stille wrote:

> What has to be fixed urgently are the ISP MTAs - these have to
> keep a record of the delivering (client) account to be able to send
> bounces the right way, rather than rely on the (often fake) sender,
> which many still do.

That can be very difficult.  For example, our company (Roaring Penguin)
uses a completely different mail server for outbound mail than for
inbound mail.  The two servers are even on different ISP's.  It would
take a fair bit of effort for our inbound server to "know" that a bounce
message should go to someone else.

Furthermore, some third-party systems actually generate bounce
messages (rather than SMTP failure codes) depending on how their
network is set up.