[Mimedefang] mail sending delay

Antoine Jacoutot ajacoutot at lphp.org
Fri Sep 26 06:02:02 EDT 2003

Hi !

I'm using mimedefang with spamassassin and clamav.
I must say I'm impressed how this combination works well.
But I'm still having a small, but annoying problem that I'm not able to trace.
Since I'm using this setup, sending mail from my MUA takes a long time, even
for very small messages.
For exemple, with kmail, sending a message with just "hello" in it takes about
2 or 3 seconds (the progress bar kind of stops). My smtp mail server is on a
100Mbits LAN.
Sometimes, I even get a "message refused, try again later" (my max number of
slaves is 10, which is way enough for my setup)... so the message stays in my
MUA outbox but is in fact sent !!!!???
Before installing mimedefang, the sending took like 1/10th of a second, it was
immediate.

So, my question is: does mimedefang do any check before accepting and scaning
the email content ? Is it possible to accept mails immediatly then do the
checks ?

I hope this message was understandable... English is not my first language.

If you have any advice, I would really appreciate.

--
Antoine Jacoutot
ajacoutot at lphp.org
http://www.lphp.org