[Mimedefang] Performance Benchmarking / Experiances

John Scully jscully at isupportisp.com
Thu Sep 25 15:18:00 EDT 2003

Because we are NOT allowing outbound mail through this filtering cluster
- it only accepts mail inbound to our 400 mail domains, so no relay
check is required, only a check of the recipients.  Any recipient not on
our mail domains gets a relay denied response.

You (and everyone else who made basically the same response) did not
notice that this is an inbound only server cluster.  Remember that the
normal sendmail setup with local-host-names and access.db sendmail ONLY
consults the access.db if the recipient domain is not in
local-host-names.  If it is for "local delivery" it is not a relay.  It
is possible to use it to control known spammer IPs, but most of the
traffic I am seeing is from random IPs.

The issue is one of relative performance - yes, access.db can be used
for "so much more", but it still does only what sendmail will do.  By
putting the control in mimedefang I decide how to handle it.  And since
I hit 400 messages per minute yesterday with no load issues I do not see
what I would gain by using access.db.

As to wasting bandwidth - because I am using filter_relay I only process
the envelope - the message is never received.  This is exactly the same
result as using access.db, since it looks at every recipient and decides
if it is for local delivery or not.

Perhaps I should have been clearer about what we do - sendmail may be
set up as a promiscuous relay, but the mail server is rock solid.  If it
is not for my domains it does not get through.

John