[Mimedefang] monkeys.dom UPL being DDOSed to death

wrolf.courtney at donovandata.com wrolf.courtney at donovandata.com
Thu Sep 25 09:58:01 EDT 2003

BitTorrent does not allow for incremental transfers, a la rsync.  It is
really good for large, unchanging files, e.g. ISO images.

NNTP/Usenet posts would be difficult to automate, make incremental,
authenticate, make private, etc.

We could conceivably have a three tiered system:

1) RBL authors, write access to a repository for their zone files.

2) (Secondary) Name servers, get read only incremental updates.

3) Regular DNS RBL users.

Ideally the secondary servers would include ISPs and government
organizations able to best defend themselves against DDOS attacks.

Simply using SourceForge and cvs commit seems workable to me for the first
tier.  I would like to know whether cvs commit does an incremental update,
or whether it moves the whole zone file.

For the second tier, doing a cvs update would work.  Again, I would like to
know whether you can do an rsync -e ssh, or whether cvs update does an
incremental update.  We would also need to set up read only access for a
limited but large number of SourceForge users.

We would need to recruit a sufficiently large number of people to be
secondary DNS servers, and set that up in the root servers, and give them
all SourceForge ids.

If we did not have to protect the IP addresses of the guilty, then we would
not need to hand out read-only SourceForge ids, everyone could download,
official secondary or stealth secondary.

Wrolf Courtney
Donovan Data Systems, Inc.
(212) 633-5470

                      "David F. Skoll"
                      <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>               To:      mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
                      Sent by:                               cc:
                      mimedefang-admin at lists.roaring         Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] monkeys.dom UPL being DDOSed to death
                      penguin.com

                      09/24/2003 09:17 PM
                      Please respond to mimedefang

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Jared Armstrong wrote:

> What about a regular Usenet posting?  Signed with PGP or GPG?

Jumping in late...

As I understand it, RBL's are reluctant to distribute their files to
anyone and everyone because having all of the zone data makes it
easy for a spammer to *find* open-relays, proxies, etc.  Considering that
many (most?) sites do not use a particular RBL, having the zone file
freely available would make spammers' jobs much easier.