[Mimedefang] rejecting versus bouncing for bad users

Martin J. Dellwo dellwo at 3dp.com
Wed Sep 24 16:56:01 EDT 2003

I am playing around with rules for filtering out mail that includes the
users lp, adm, bin, guest, man, and maybe other standard unix account
names, assuming they come from the Internet and not from local unix
hosts.  I could probably cut 50% or more of my spam by rejecting these.

If I use filter_recipient and do a 'REJECT' on matching those names, I
only get non-deliveries on those users, but other legit users still get
the mail.  So, I think I should be doing action_bounce.  Is that the way
to go?  Should I examinen whether it is coming from my Secondary MX (not
under my control) and do action_discard instead when relayed?  I can't
think of any reason that legit email would come to those addresses from
outside.

Is filter_recipient the place to do it?  Will action_bounce immediately
end further processing?
Martin J. Dellwo   (610) 458-5264 x6512   dellwo at 3dp.com
Systems Administrator, 3-Dimensional Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
http://www.3dp.com/