[Mimedefang] monkeys.dom UPL being DDOSed to death

wrolf.courtney at donovandata.com wrolf.courtney at donovandata.com
Wed Sep 24 13:48:58 EDT 2003

Zone transfers would seem like a great option, if everyone also agreed to
be a secondary server....

Wrolf Courtney
Donovan Data Systems, Inc.
(212) 633-5470

                      Mike Heller <mike at dsny.com>
                      Sent by:                               To:      mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
                      mimedefang-admin at lists.roaring         cc:
                      penguin.com                            Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] monkeys.dom UPL being DDOSed to death

                      09/24/2003 12:01 PM
                      Please respond to mimedefang

  I am one of the people using Ron's DNSBL to filter mail on my server
(or at least was using).  During the DDOS attack, our mail server slowed
to a crawl and I noticed that there were a lot of sendmail processes
running.  I'm assuming that each one was looking up the IP in Ron's DNS
and each one had to timeout before it could continue.  After a while,
our mail server stopped accepting mail, which is not a good thing.

As we have discussed on this list, it's not the first time this has
happened nor will it be the last.  If that is the case, is there
anything I can do to prevent my server from dying next time?  Can I
reduce the timeout period?  Are there any other measures I can take to
help prevent this from happening again?  Zone transferes would seem like
an option as I could just have the list locally, but that seems to put
more work on the list maintainer since he would have to authorize a lot
of servers.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike