[Mimedefang] Best free antivirus

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Sep 24 09:05:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 02:06, Håkon Nilsen (Exinet AS) wrote:

> But if you pay for it, you can get guarantees. If you're attacked, while you
> should have been blocked for this - wouldn't you pick up the phone and call
> the ones that supplies your virus killer, and demand that they correct
> it/pay up? I sure know that's how I, or at least my bosses, would feel.

I've been running clam antivirus for quite a while under MimeDefang and
also have commercial scanners on individual desktop machines.  So
far I'm not aware of any email virus getting through the clam scan
that was caught by the commercial products, and every time I see
a notification from the commercial supplier about new definitions
being available, clam also picks up a new database file. You may
be overestimating the value of phone support unless you have a
lot of patiences.  We did have windows viruses spreading by other
means recently and the hold times to get a support person were
on the order of several hours.  Since no one could wait that long
it actually took several days to reach someone.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com