[Mimedefang] Best free antivirus

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Sep 24 08:53:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Håkon Nilsen (Exinet AS) wrote:

> I block most of my virusattacks too with mimedefang, so I don't have a
> problem either, just as your example. But wouldn't it be better to scan them
> for viruses? If you get an .exe file on mail, it might be something you
> want!

Not in my case.  I do not run any Windows machines, so I never expect
or need .exe files.  (I realize this is an unusual situation, of course.)

> But if you pay for it, you can get guarantees.

Oh, really?  Read the fine print on most commercial software licenses.

> If you're attacked, while you
> should have been blocked for this - wouldn't you pick up the phone and call
> the ones that supplies your virus killer, and demand that they correct
> it/pay up?

Are you aware of a single case in which a commercial software provider has
been forced to "pay up" for a bug in its software or for not updating
a virus database soon enough?  I'm not.  I'd love to hear of such a case,
though.