[Mimedefang] recommended memory for mimedefang

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Sep 23 10:50:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Datareactor wrote:

> 25% mails are interoffice
> is it safe to run mimedefang with this memory
> because i see lot of bad stuff coming in and out the network freely

It is impossible to answer your question without having more information.

What is the daily mail volume through your server?  Average message size?
Peak number of messages per minute?

For example, our mail server is a lowly 900MHz Duron with 128MB of
RAM.  On the other hand, our mail volume is under 500 messages/day, so
that's plenty of horsepower.

We've clocked a dual-Xeon 2.6GHz with 1GB of memory running MIMEDefang+
SpamAssassin+ClamAv at around 12 messages/second, or a sustained
rate of a million a day (under ideal conditions.)