[Mimedefang] Antivirus quarantine - entire message instead of parts?

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at eget.fi
Tue Sep 23 10:16:01 EDT 2003

Well, I got the multiplexor to work finally. Worked the way it should after
installing to /usr/local. I had hoped to be able to install to a alternate
directory but I never did get that to work, the slaves either never started
or died immediately and the multiplexor kept trying to start them.

However, I need some further handholding from the list. This is no doubt
beginner level stuff, but I'm bloody awful at any kind of scripting so I
need some help.

I need help modifying the default behaviour for how messages that match a
virus scan are handled. Briefly, I'd like to quarantine the entire message
instead of just the offending attachment, in order to facilitate easy (well,
easier) recovery of the mail should it match erroneously for some reason. I
have nightmarish visions of trying to explain to someone that I can't
restore that important mail they needed because mimedefang dumped everything
but an attachment, or something like that.

I don't mind the harddrive space being used for this, I plan to clean out
stuff older than a week or two automatically from the quarantine directory.

I'm also confused about quarantine notifications to the administrator; do
they or do they not get sent if you use the example file or do you need to
add to the filter file? Keep in mind I've only attended the "cut-n-paste
school of perl scripting"...

I've RTFM:d until my eyes hurt and done a lot of searches against the
mailing list archive but I can't quite get it. I tried just altering the
action_quarantine line just below action_bounce from the
mimedefang-filter.example file to action_quarantine_entire_message("blah");
but that failed.

--