[Mimedefang] Using mimedefang with qmail?

Rudolph Pereira r.pereira at isu.usyd.edu.au
Sun Sep 21 23:04:09 EDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 11:04:05PM -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Michael W. Cocke wrote:
>
> > I'm about to switch to qmail for assorted reasons, and I was wondering
> > if anyone could point me to a how to (or even a why not) on using
> > mimedefang and qmail.
>
> MIMEDefang does not work with qmail.  There!  That was a quick answer, no?
In case anyone's interested, I am working on some glue code
as part of a project to use mimedefang with postfix
(hearsay, anecdotes, my very quick tests,
recent history, etc suggest that postfix may be up to a couple of times
faster and more secure than sendmail).
It uses postfix's content filter (called "advanced content filtering")
to get postfix to send the mail to an smtp-talking intermediate server
(which talks to mimedefang) and then injects the possibly altered mail
back into postfix after defanging/filtering.
So far I've got a prototype in perl working properly using the example filter,
but I expect it'll take a few more weeks before I can be confident
enough to say it works enough for general use, let alone quickly. I
expect certain things that are sendmail-specific will never work, and at
least the initial prototype won't reject at smtp time; newer versions of
postfix have an at-smtp-time proxy facility that could do it but
is separate to what I am using, hence the division of work/bouncing may
be difficult.