[Mimedefang] Latest Worms and IE Exploits

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Fri Sep 19 13:21:00 EDT 2003

"David F. Skoll" wrote:
> Are there really any good reasons to allow these kinds of attachments
> in?  Just curious as to why anyone (who runs Windows) would possibly
> want to allow them in.

.exe for ISP (or any other) tech support sending patches and updates  to
customers.  :/  No, it's not ideal, but it can be useful.  I'd rather
post the file to a website, personally;  and send a complete literal
address to the file in the email, but that's not always possible.  :(

I can't see any good reason to allow bare .pif or .scr files;  .bat
files may be legit (passing a backup script, or some other
DOS-command-line-helper to a friend) but most "real" .bat files will be
short (<1K -> ~3-4K).  I've seen a *very* few 10K batch files, but not
many.

In most people's general email, however, there's *very* little reason to
ever send anything executable by email at all.

I discovered yesterday that RAV must have some heuristic AV detection
code in it;  it tagged a few messages on the filter server here as
"NewMalware.gen!".  clamav didn't trigger on it when I cross-checked to
try to find out what it was.

-kgd
apartment it is.